Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Family Time

As we, here at my house, still finish up leftovers from Easter, I thought I'd post a different kind of message.

There are times that I wonder how my parents did it all when I was growing up... carpooling, working, ballet or tennis lessons, swimming meets, and vacation time... and I question myself all the time, "how in the heck am I going to get everything accomplished today" (- or this week, month, year, etc) All too often I feel like we are rushing from one project or obligation to the next. This generation which is both blessed and cursed with technology seems to be having a very hard time relaxing, unplugging, and merely getting outside together as a family. I am very guilty of this. And even when I do get outside to be with my boys or even to hang out with them on the couch for a bit, I find myself wishing I could have more of that.... 

This past week during Spring Break, I took a good look at my kids - I've always known they are wonderful and amazing, but this week I also realized that they are growing so damn fast! And those amazing qualities are shining brighter than ever... am I missing it? Sometimes I feel like I am - Like I am too busy doing other stuff and not getting to cherish it as much as I could. They are all growing like weeds and I smile when I think about each of them becoming young men. Wow - it's going by too quick. I say this last line very often... and so I started thinking instead of wishing I had more time with them - make it happen. 

At dinner we sit and talk and often my husband and I try to talk to the boys about life, history, learning lessons, local and global news.... and they boys have a lot to say! I am blessed that my husband felt the same way as I did about family dinners. How they are important in knowing who our children are and having them have strong family values... 

If I can squeeze in exercise time, babysitting for others time, girl time, date night time, even TV show time... I better start squeezing in more kid time, because it is flying by at lightning speed!!! So this month I am starting to not do personal TV time. This month that time is my kids time. And yes, every other moment of my day is making sure they are fed, they are clean, the house is clean, the laundry done.... but I mean TIME WITH THEM... time to just listen to them. To cherish them. To be near them (more) and hear what they have to say... because just like my close friends and family, their opinion of their life and the world is important and I want to hear it!!

I wish all of you a beautiful day!



No comments:

Post a Comment